Wellbeing is about feeling good and functioning well in your day to day life. How you think and what you do affects your wellbeing.
You can’t stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes. – A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
By acknowledging five areas of your life it can be possible to work individually or collectively to enhance your quality of life. It is important to acknowledge feelings and challenges as learning experiences. By developing more positive emotions you can have improved cognitive ability, increased creativity, focus and productivity.
Beauty is everywhere, not everyone sees it. – Confucius
Being able to enhance your wellbeing can be empowering. It also requires a level of honesty and change that we can be fearful of but by valuing your wellbeing you can have a better quality of life.
There are five tested and proven ways to improve your wellbeing following research by the New Economics Foundation:
- Connect – with people around you in all aspects of your life.
- Be Active – discover and practice a physical activity you enjoy and suits your level of fitness.
- Take notice – savour the moment.be aware of the world around you. Reflect on your experience and appreciate what matters to you.
- Keep learning – personal growth is achieved through learning and trying new experiences and opportunities.
- Give – your time and attention to others; smile, say thank you. Seeing yourself, and your happiness, linked to the wider community can be incredibly rewarding and will create connections with the people around you.
These are simple things that you can do to lead to a happier, more fulfilled life, if practised regularly.
You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit – Aristotle
Benefits of valuing your wellbeing
- Improvement of your physical health
- Increased performance at work/in education
- Create more balance in your life
- Increased sense of appreciation and happiness
- Better teamwork
- Develop productivity and creativity
- Generally improve your quality of life